From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2009 22:14:56 -0500
> Beekeepers made it very clear at the national meetings that they did not
> want to hear from me that the most frequent and highest levels of
> contaminants in U.S. wax and pollen, across the board, tend to be
> miticides.

Why wouldn't they be?

Seriously.

 Miticides are used by beekeepers in their hives the world over. Jeff Pettis
fully explained that once you use fluvalinate or coumaphos the product stays
in wax for a very long time. He also explained at National meetings that a
level is reached. No researh has ever *proven* these levels are harmful for
bees (EXCEPT for the drone issue( fluvalinate) and not to use Checkmite when
raising queens).

The above has never changed last time I checked. Do you or the CCD working
group have any *proof* that the normal levels in wax of these products
produced by legal treatments are in fact harmful to honeybees?

If so it would help make your case.

I have never seen such results.

Show us some proof these levels are causing the bees to display CCD symptoms
and you have got our ears.

IMID:

All over the U.S. commercial beekeepers are seeing the result of systemic
pesticides. The CCD working group turns a blind eye (our opinion) so we deal
with it ourselves.

 great bees in super strong hives. No mite or nosema issues or other
problems. Usually making a bumper crop of honey in an area. Next week you
arrive and half the hives have CCD like symptoms. bees gone!  disappeared.

One case this week traced to corn tassels (neonicotinoids) in field within
100 feet of hives and bees packing the pollen in.

Another traced to neonicotinoids sprayed on a got course.

No I don't need a CCD team to investigate. I simply will avoid the area next
season.

Proving these things *beyond a shadow of a doubt* is very hard. Commercial
beeks know this so we are simply adapting to the new "Living with the
neonicotinoids" like we did when we had to learn "living with varroa"'

I have said the above on BEE-L before and as Kim posted most commercial
beeks feel the same as I do.

Bottom line:
The neonicotinoids poison nectar & pollen. The bees use pollen & nectar.

In my opinion the neonicotinoids are going to be the next thing in
commercial beekeeping to cull commercial beeks. I am very careful and still
get burned.

Bottom line:
Some beeks see neonicotinoid problems and others in neonicotinod areas do
not. The reason is not rocket science. The bees have to visit the
neonicotinoid plants. Drought is the worse time in my opinion or whenever
the bees see the need to gather the contaminated pollen or nectar.

Many may not agree with the above and I am not interested in another
discussion going over the same points ( Aaron smiles happily!) but only in
pointing out my opinion and those of the hundreds of commercial beeks which
are seeing hive loss.

My 2 cents worth !

bob