From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 07:19:17 EDT
Tim Serrett asked about feeding bees Fumidil-B in honey that came from a
solar melter.

I wonder (note I am not making a claim) if honey from a solar melter is
a good idea because it may have been heated to too high a temperature.
I know honey in my solar melter gets darkened quite a bit due to
temperature, taste IS altered and I know that scorched honey will cause
dysentery.  So, is feeding honey from a solar melter a good idea?

Regarding unadulterated, disease free honey as a delivery agent for
Fumidil-B (F-B), I know of no reason why it cannot be used, although
honey is rather thick and I'd imagine it would quite difficult to get
the F-B to dissolve - ya think you got problems getting it to dissolve
in water?

Incidently, I don't see what the big deal is getting Fumidil-B to dissolve.
Anyone who can make a good roux or gravy in the kitchen can get F-B mixed
into water.  Just mix it as you would flour or corn starch into your
gravy - add only enough water to the F-B to first make a paste, stir in
a little more water to make your paste thinner, keep stirring in more water
so your paste keeps getting thinner and thinner and eventually you'll no
longer have a paste, you'll have a solution of water and F-B that can
be added to your syrup with no problems.  It's not rocket science, it's
basic chef stuff.

But I digress, is honey from a solar melter safe feed for bees?  I'd
advise against it.  Comments?

Aaron Morris - thinking potatoes and gravy are a good side dish!