From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 2009 09:11:30 -0700
>I am not even sure that nosema, which we have always had in the environment is the root problem and not a symptom, and I am not sure that identifying a new atrain does not mean we have not lived with it successfully in the past for some time without the heroic measures we are now recommending.

Allen, I am in agreement with you on the above.

>> If you have an entranc average count of 50M spores, I'd feel confident in predicting that the colony is going downhill.>
> But that could be a freak peak from some drifting bee.

Not if you have 50 bees in the sample.

> I'd go beyond that and say I am not sure the threshold concept can be applied using current sampling methods, except in a very gross and inaccurate manner.

I am totally in agreement.

> What are your thoughts on taking entrance bees compared to bees from the outer edges of the lid or off honey frames, compared to samples from the brood frames?

Dr. Raquel Martin-Hernandez found that entrance samples after noon
gave the highest counts.  I've confirmed by sampling colonies in short
order both at the entrance and from inside the lid or frames.  Much
higher counts from the entrance.  Far less chance of finding an
infected house bee.

There are likely two reasons for this.  In unpublished age cohort
trials, spores don't show up until bees reach foraging "age."  Also, a
nosema infection will likely cause a young bee to shift to foraging
behavior, for reasons which I will detail in an upcoming article.

So, in answer to your question, the "standard" sample should be at
least 50 bees from the entrance after noon, making sure that you don't
pick up crawlers off the ground (which would skew the count upward).

Randy Oliver