From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2007 22:35:18 -0500
>But no way bees "preceded the settlers" by anything
>more than the distance covered by swarms.

Lets look for a moment at some written accounts,
and leave the assumptions out of this.

A tour of the parries was by Washington Irving (1783-1859)
states that bees were steadfastly preceding in advance of the
settlers.

"They have been the heralds of civilization,
steadfastly preceding it as it advanced from the Atlantic borders"

Eva Crane in World History of Beekeeping and Honey Hunting, Pg. 359
states that bees spread by swarming in to these states:

Connecticut
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
Mississippi
Ohio
Michigan
Missouri
Indiana
Vermont
Iowa
Illinois
Mew Jersey
Nebraska
Colorado
Arkansas
Texas
Wisconsin
Oklahoma

No mention by Eva Crane of settlers transporting bees into these states.
I would trust Eva Cranes expert research over all else.

Also, we have accounts from Longs Expedition of swarms found in “great
numbers” far into the frontier.

On the ist of September, we were under the necessity of remaining encamped
near the mouth of Wolf river, *150 that some repairs might be made to the
steam engine. Here we sent out some persons to hunt, who after a short
time returned, having taken a deer, a turkey, and three swarms of bees,
which afforded us about half a barrel of honey.
1819-1820 S. H. Long's Expedition Pg. 181

On the 4th of September we were joined by the hunters, who brought two
deer, and informed us they had killed several others.  Lieutenant Field’s
boat was allowed to remain at the encampment of the preceding night, after
the departure of the steamboat, for the purpose of taking on board a large
quantity of honey.  Swarms of bees were found here in great numbers, and
the honey they afforded made a valuable addition to our provisions,
consisting now in a great measure of hunters’ fare.” (Source: Edwin James,
Account of an Expedition from Pittsburgh to the Rocky Mountains Performed
in the years 1819 - 1820,  Longs Expedition, Pg 215)

Accounts from frontiersmen / bee hunters like Davy Crockett also pleased
to find swarms of bees far into the frontier.
Ole Davy makes no mention of his having to sneak onto a settlers property
to the “distance covered by swarms” to get his “honey a-plenty”

“No less of a frontiersman than Davy Crockett was pleased to find that in
Texas “there were bees and honey a-plenty” in 1836.”  (Source: Tammy Horn,
Bees in America, Pg. 72)

Best Wishes,
Joe  ~ Derry, PA
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles