From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 07:57:53 -0700
At 08:22 AM 8/11/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Anyway, back to the subject.  We had Cyprian bees imported into >Australia
in the early 1950's and these were aggressive compared to >the bees in
Australia at that time, so they were not proceeded with. >With all those
imports in the early days, I wonder what happened to >all those bees.

Really, in the 1950's, that sounds like they still are around in the bush.

>Yes, Frank Benton was the man of the mailing cage fame.

I believe he was from the San Jose, California area as that was the main
bee breeding area of the time. During his day honeybees had only been in
California a short time, maybe 30 to 35 years so any stock introduced had
lots of room.

>Not a bad winter's day here today.  At home, a minimum of 3 degrees
centigrade and a maximum of 25 degrees centigrade.

In California we are into our brown season, we only have green and brown
seasons. Lots of brush fires burning up 50 year old bee pasture in southern
California, but it needs it and will come back in a few years better then
ever if not covered with houses.

Beekeepers are moving to fall wildflower pastures which are hard to find
because of the dry year we had, no rain since January, but there is more
then anyone expected. Blue Curls, Tarweed, and even some Jack Ass Clover
and June Weed are the common names for a few of the flowers in bloom. At
one time many of these were producers of large crops of honey but today
most beekeepers are happy with fresh pollen and enough nectar to get a
couple cycles of brood before everything dries up.

ttul Andy-