From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2012 23:53:39 -0500
surveys not studies. really.

Brenna Traver's PhD thesis is 143 pages and is not a survey but an exhaustive study. She was advised by, among others, Judy Chen of the USDA Beltsville Bee Lab. She states:

> Fall fumagillin treatments and winter stimulative pollen feeding were compared. Neither treatment significantly lowered N. ceranae levels in colonies sampled 3-6 months later, nor did they significantly improve colony survival. Due to the high cost of treatment and the time required, we do not recommend either treatment for N. ceranae infections during the fall.

Bob, the more you promote fumagillin the more I wonder what your interest is. Do you think there's nothing wrong with dumping a potent antifungal poison into the food supply of honey bee colonies if it doesn't do anything to control nosema?

She mentions the high cost as a reason to forgo fumagillin, but I am talking about avoiding the use in animals of medications that are needed for human health. We are losing the war against infections as one after another antibiotic becomes useless.

Peter Lehner, Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) executive director, said:

"More than a generation has passed since FDA first recognized the potential human health consequences of feeding large quantities of antibiotics to healthy animals.  The FDA needs to put the American people first by ensuring that antibiotics continue to serve their primary purpose - saving human lives by combating disease."