From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 22:06:44 -0700
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> How would you know whether the Nosema you see is N.Apis or N. Cerana?

Hi Chris,

Dr Bromenshenk, as always, is absolutely right in his reply.

Funny you should ask just now, since Dr Robert Cramer, who works with
Jerry, has been trying to get a PCR DNA result from a sample that
Ruary Rudd sent me from Ireland.

And danged if I didn't just get an email from him of results!  Anyway,
Ruary's was N apis.

So I have now been able to take photographs of N apis and N ceranae
side by side.  In fact, I just read your email as I was preparing a
photo for publication!  I'll run it in the next bee journal, and try
to get it up on my website ASAP.

Jerry's point however, is that unless you've looked at a lot of nosema
spores, you'd have a heckuva time telling the two apart.  This is
especially true since N ceranae is so danged variable in size and
shape.

I'll post to the list when I've got photos up on my website.  May be a
day or two since I'm off to conferences.

Randy Oliver