From:
Lennard Pisa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 22:16:17 +0000
Hi All,

Following the list closely for a while now and never seen someone write on
the relation between bee diet and disease? Should I search te archives as
this subject is already chewed out or covered in the Bailey and Boll book I
did not put my hands on yet...Why are there no people recently stating which
local flora has real effect on bee resistance to pests?
"grow a stretch of this and you'll never see a spore/beetle/mite/fungus
again")

(would a diet good for mas brood rearing also maximaly boost bee immune
system? Do we always meet the minimum requierments?)

Here (Netherlands) we are "grassed up", big parts of the small country with
diverse flora have changed for monoculture and grassy landscape in the last
50 years. Cities give often honey that is too "herbal" for my taste for
bread and pollen that takes much work to identify due to all the exotics.

Old beekeepers in places that still have "exceptional" rich bee flora say
they make it without any pest management (except for mesh floors and maybe a
controlled swarming technique). Good flowering in one's own location helps,
but how much?

regards,

Lennard Pisa