From:
Dave Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:44:32 +0000
Allen Dick for Bryan Butler writes....

>I am wondering if there are by-products that can be made from very dark
>honey. Uganda has a great deal of dark honey and my understanding is
>that this is not too marketable. Maybe that is an incorrect assumption.
>I wondered if we could break it down into basic sugars or something
>which could then be more marketable.

Tropical Forest Products (David Wainwright, UK) was set up to import
honey from Zambia and Tanzania to the UK. These too were considered
'industrial' and not marketable because they were so strong and dark.
Luckily for the beekeepers everyone was wrong. The company is supported
by a fair-trade organisation 'Shared Interest' at <[log in to unmask]
emon.co.uk> and may be able to contact TFP for more information.

>Almost all the honey (maybe all) in Uganda is produced in traditional
>or semi-traditional hives. This means it is harvested in chunks of comb
>that need to be crushed (I think??) before extraction. Do you have any
>comments?

Only that its usually regarded as a good thing because the wax is a
valuable product and it makes Africa one of the largest producers of
beewax. We in the west are 'living off' their wax ;-)

For all sorts of information that may help contact Bees for Development

--
Dave Black
<http://www.guildford.ac.uk/beehive>,