From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2018 06:09:43 -0700

>  I know we have the new laws regarding antibiotics for hives here.
> Something about
> needing to buy them through a veterinarian? Has anyone gone through this
> process who could guide me as to how the heck a vet will diagnosis EFB? Or
> do you just tap a vet friend for a prescription?

Jennifer, this is a common question, and the veterinarians are scrambling
to figure out what to do.  Some of us are actively working with the
American Veterinary Association, and there is a conference in the works in
North Carolina to train veterinarians to work with beekeepers.  Dr Chris
Cripps of Betterbee has been a leader in these efforts.

Some commercial beekeepers already had a veterinarian/client relationship
due to having other livestock.  Others simply stockpiled antibiotics for
use while things shake out.  It's the recreational beekeepers who are now
having the most problems finding a vet who can diagnose EFB.

I wish that I had a great answer for you, but I don't.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA