From:
ALDEN MARSHALL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 22:37:41 -0400
Peter wrote:

 For example, it is apparent
> that viruses may be transmitted vertically from queen breeding
> operations overseas to queen breeding operations in the USA, and
> thence to the customers' bees via the queen, her eggs and her drones'
> semen.

    If I understand correctly, most of the viruses that are causing the
problems may not be new, and they may always be with us (the bees). IMO it
is fundamental to limit  ALL stresses that cause the viruses to propagate to
the point they become problematic.. Until I can be shown otherwise I will
attempt to practice this kind of beekeeping.
    I find it interesting that my beekeeping acquaintances who do use
chemical control, probably to late, are bemoaning dwindling colonies and
poor honey crops, just the opposite of my experience. We have the same races
of bees and very similar foraging environment.some overlapping. I practice
mite control all season, and only use veg oil for trachea mite. I am not
advocating my procedures only that it is evident to me that excessive V mite
loads may be much less than what is published. I have culled out most all
previously chemical treated comb and on second year of management practices.
I find that come mid/late August mites are extremely scarce in drone brood.
I consider any deficiency or excessive manipulations to be a stress but do
not have a quantitative handle on them (who does?)
    My last statement: IMO viruses are not going away!

Alden Marshall
Hudson, NH