From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2008 21:30:22 -0500
Hello John & All,
Jeff Pettis touched on the results at the national convention. You can order
the CD or DVD of his talk. I can provide the numbers to order if you feel so
inclined.

I know of no published results yet. Not sure there will be published results
as very little was learned in my opinion.
Hackenberg is having troubles like he had before. The irradiated comb did
not end his problems.

If you are not seeing anything strange in your bees John then you are the
first I have talked to.

We may not be losing all our bees but most of us are seeing some things we
have never seen. Bees not taking feed. Virus issues in bees with varroa
under control. Hives missing bees on a small scale.

Today I received a call from a commercial beekeeper which treated with
miteaway 2 correctly and finished treatment 3 weeks ago. He is seeing
deformed wings and PMS signs. We are checking further and I plan to contact
David V, about what we are seeing. We did find a couple varroa in drone
brood cells but it seems varroa is under control.

We are wondering what the problem is.  We may have to hit again with miteway
2 or another treatment. The bees look great but the informed see a problem
brewing as the next treatment would be Sept..

I only heard of the problem a few hours ago but seeing virus issues on bees
which were eggs or larva when treatment period ended is serious. Randy
Oliver knows what I am talking about.

All beekeepers need to keep a close eye on all hives. Still hearing reports
of large scale die offs in Washington State.
Beekeepers using holding yards seem to be having the most problems.
Beekeepers with bees on locations report a couple yards not doing right or a
few hives in a yard.

Those in holding yards report the bees look great and then on the next trip
are crashing. First testing results seems to point to nosema ceranae being
hard to control per label and virus issues emerging in bees with varroa
under control. Both serious issues for which I have no answer. We (like
Randy) are trying a few things.

My bees looked great last time I checked about 7 days ago( except for small
issues in two yards which I will be testing this week). Will be checking
further this weekwith  the other commercial beekeeper.

Hopefully U.S. beekeeping  will get a handle on the problem before long.
Funding seems close at hand with the farm bill .

bob