From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2012 08:07:08 -0400
Bob writes:
First let me say there is as much research that has been done supporting
fumagilin does prevent nosema getting to dangerous levels as the research
you posted  saying fumagilin use is a waste of time and money.  Published in bee
magazines for decades.

With all due respect, we are talking about Nosema ceranae which has not been looked at for decades. It may have been here for decades but if it was, nobody noticed it. Nosema apis is all but gone from the USA. In terms of the weight of the pros and cons, there are credible studies showing the impact of Nosema c. and fumagillin, most notable the one presented at the ABRC in Beltsville, which I attended.

No-one came away from R. Rivera's presentation unimpressed, as they claimed to have greatly increased frame count going into almonds and a doubling of honey production. However, Dr. Spivak raised the question of long term survival, the response to which was "you can't have everything".

What was also not addressed was the cost benefit ratio between expensive inputs vs the value of any increase in frame count and honey production. In other words, one has to consider what a frame of bees is worth minus how much it costs to produce it. Right now a frame of bees in almonds is very valuable, but that may not hold up nor does it mean much to beekeepers who don't pollinate and/or seek to produce honey without chemical inputs. The question of long term sustainability depends in part on short term gains, but at some point has to be addressed.

PLB