Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:00:39 -0500
I've been blessed to have a mentor that has been working bees for over 50 years and has a commercial operation of over 2,000 hives.  http://www.gahoney.com/  He has been out to inspect my hives about four times this year, the most recent visit about a week ago.  There are no droppings, malformed wings, dead bees, EFB, AFB or any other visible signs of disease or pests besides the hive beetle I already mentioned.
I learned a lot at this years Bee Institute: http://www.ent.uga.edu/bees/bee_institute/Brochure-08.pdf  Passed the written and practical parts of the certified Beekeeper exam where we did have to identify different bee diseases.  It was pretty cool being able to meet in person and ask questions of the authors of the books I've read, such as Kim Flottum, Keith Delaplane and Ross Conrad.  These were just a few of the really knowledgeable people who came and taught.  I'm really looking forward to next years Institute.
Obviously, this being my first year of beekeeping and having only two hives, I have a lot to learn, which is one of the reasons I'm on this group.  I'm learning a lot from reading your discussions.  Thank you to all of you who take time to answer my beginner questions.
Roni