From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 20:44:28 -0400
>I am interested that Chris Allen thinks that letting the bees clean out the
>cappins is a good way to spread disease.  I certainly will be more careful in
>the future.  But, I am interested to know what the difference between
>lettting the girls clean out cappings and letting them clean out the
>extracted supers is.  I also stack those in the woods and let 'em go at it.
> It that also a problem?

Hi Faith:
I wonder why you (and others, because several have mentioned it) feel the
need the have the bees clean out the supers.  I have always understood that
extracted comb should be stored wet with remaining honey as it keeps better
that way.  Sure the uncapped honey picks up some moisture and ferments, but
the bees don't seem to mind. In fact maybe they really party when I put
those supers back on :)

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that
having some small amount of fermented honey in the comb when you give supers
to the bees has any significant effect on the quality of the honey that they
will later store in those supers.  Why risk the spread of disease?

Regards, Stan