From:
Frank Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 May 1998 20:05:39 -0400

> << Any suggestions on laying workers?  One of my hives may have this
>  problem.  I cannot find a queen but I have eggs, and some drones
> in worker
>  cells.  The XYZ-s' book suggests destroying the bees and
> starting over, but
>  this seems rather drastic!  Doug Brown >>

I move the hive and in its place put a new hive with a queen and 3 or 4
frames of brood.  I then carry the old hive some distance away and shake all
the bees in heavy grass.  If there is and amount of brood, set the old hive
on top of the new one.  All the flying bees will eventually return to the
new hive and join.  If this is a starter hive with laying workers, just
shake them out of the hive and give the brood to another colony.  The bees
from the laying worker hive will join other hives in the yard and will very
seldom cause a problem.

Frank Humphrey