From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:31:57 -0500
Ryan, it is very, very difficult to provide worthwhile assistance to you at
your present level and without considerably more information concerning your
climate.

You reported you just purchased two hives, and plan on purchasing two more.
You also reported that your bees are "hanging out", just now.  The first
item implies that you have contact with a beekeeper, but perhaps not.  If
you do, you might ask him or her for the name of a local beekeeping club.
Members would be in a position to provide information based exactly on your
climate and local flora.  Alternatively, if you are in the US, let me know
the state and a nearby city and I should be able to give you a beekeeping
club in the area.  If you are not in the US, and cannot find a club through
the source where you purchased your hives, contact any state agricultural
office for assistance.

Based on the fact that your bees are "hanging out" just now, you must be in
a mild to warm climate.  In the Northern Hemisphere there is little in bloom
until January or February, and your bees might be just waiting for a bloom.
The fact that they are outside the hive might imply that there is too much
honey stored, making it likely that the queen does not have enough room for
brood, meaning the hives might swarm in the spring.  Note the number of
"mights" in the last sentences (3), this is because I have no idea where you
are or your local conditions...something a local beekeeper would be
immediately familiar with.

Lloyd
Email [log in to unmask]
Owner, Ross Rounds(tm), the finest in comb honey production.
http://www.rossrounds.com