From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 07:43:35 -0900
Hi All,

> About one year in three or four around here we can find the nectar from
> this source giving the bees enough to get fresh stores capping going in
> the nest area, but have never had surplus honey from it as it is just
> too early.

Here in Alaska willows are our major pollen and nectar producers to allow
build up in the spring. The willow honey is very clear and white. With out
willows in the spring, our first blooming plant, we would need to feed for
sure until the dandelions come on. State wide we have 33 species of willows.
In my area they start blooming on average around April 7th unless it is a
strong El Nino year like this year where they can begin blooming a month
earlier. Used to be a weed to me until I started beekeeping. Now I see them
as a very beautiful plant.
   . ..
c(((([
Keith Malone