From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:12:55 -0400
> I  posted an inquiry on Bee-L last week seeking some information or a source of information on the distribution of Small Hive Beetle in NYS ( and NW PA).  I am somewhat surprised that there was not a response.

I was tempted to respond, but there really isn't much to say. NY Ag & Mkts has this info, so does the USDA, but they are either not interested or not willing to make it public. The USDA has decades of data on disease incidence, drug resistant foulbrood, all this stuff.

I know from my experience as a bee inspector that the hive beetle is pretty rare once you get 50 miles away from I 90. I presume this is because the migratory beekeepers are situated along in this area, primarily because so many of them have bees in or near the apples.

In the summer many of them fan out throughout NYS but then they go back to Florida for winter. They have hive beetles up the wazoo, but it appears to me that the SHB hasn't really established itself in other areas. My theory is they are brought in every year from the south

Pete