From:
David Gaida <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 16:26:35 -0500
Finally finished with all the deep brood and honey frames from our dead
hives.  We kept them in the freezer for a week to kill all the wax moths.
Now we are taking them to the honey room to store them over the winter.
Hopefully, to use next year with new packages and splits.  Here's the
question:

The brood boxes and food boxes still have some honey in them.  Not full
frames.  Above the brood and around the edges.  We did not extract these
frames.  If we store the boxes using the paramoth crystals, can we still
use these frames in the spring.  Will the honey be contaminated and not
healthy for the bees.  These frames are deep, we only extract the mediums,
so we are sure the honey will never be taken for human consumption.  Or, as
we froze the wax moths, do we need to put the paramoth on for the winter.
Our winters do not stay at or below freezing.  Quite often we have two
warming spells around mid-January and mid-February, it can go up to 65 deg.
F for days at a time, and not fall below 40 deg. F at night.

Unfortunately because we lost so many hives, there is not enough room in
the freezer for all the frames all winter.

Your help is, once again, gratefully appreciated.   Thanks.

Judy in Kentucky, USA
84.5 W; 38.5 N