From:
Dave Pehling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1993 10:34:13 PDT
RE: Obtaining bee venom..

Jim Tew at Ohio State University demostrated venom extration during his
satellite-transmitted beekeeping class this last winter.  As I remember,
the apparatus was an electrified grid of fine wires on the landing board
with a glass plate underneath.  The bees received a mild shock from the
grid and responded by ejecting a drop of venom onto the glass plate.  The
bees are not harmed.  The glass plate is removed and placed in the freezer.
When the venom is frozen, it can be scraped off.

I'll try to find a reference with particulars and report to the Bee-L.

Cheers....

Dave Pehling