From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 11:00:44 -0400
> So, since there is a legal reason for her dogs to not bark (disturbing
> the peace) and there is no legal reason that bees can't be kept, I feel
> that I have the upper hand, but I'd rather not go down that road (of
> course I have no problems mixing my metaphors...)

Glen,

First, lose the attitude.  If you approach the situation thinking you have
the upper hand you may end up quite surprised.  Her barking dogs and your
bees have nothing to do with each other.  If you're out to deal with barking
dogs you might have success in having whatever laws exist to deal with them
(disturbing the peace) enforced, but you will also get her upset and
determined to have whatever laws may exist in your community to deal with
keeping bees enforced.  No laws about keeping bees?  Are you sure?  Are
there any caveats that may apply anywhere in any laws that may be contrary
to your interpretations?

I'm currently involved in protracted litigation in a community that
"Encourages agricultural persuits (apiculture named specificly)", but got
snagged on a technicality that states agricultural persuits require acerage
I do not own.  And agricultural persuits aside, I'm being hung from a
different tree based on running a commercial business in a residential zone.
Next scheduled court appearance is June 13.  There's more than one way for
an irate neighbor to hang a beekeeper.  Don't go the confrontational route,
you'll lose.  It's nearly impossible to find a sympathetic ear when it comes
to honeybees.  You can thank Norm Gary for that.

So, try the honey.  Try education.  Grovel.  And be ready to move your bees.

Aaron Morris - thinking the real bug problems are the bugs up the neighbors
ash!
You did say it was an ash tree, no?

Thanks.  Reply directly to me at mailto:[log in to unmask] .

--glen