Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2014 16:24:10 -0500
Here is the bill:

LD 1587

> An Act To Temporarily Ban the Use of Neonicotinoid Pesticides
>
> Be it enacted by the People of the State of Maine as follows:
> Sec. 1.  7 MRSA §606, sub-§3 is enacted to read:
>
> 3.  Neonicotinoid pesticides; moratorium.  During the period from July 15,
> July 15, 2016, a person may not use, sell or distribute a neonicotinoid
> pesticide. As used
> in this subsection, "neonicotinoid pesticide" means a pesticide containing
> imidacloprid,
> clothianidin, thiamethoxam, dinotefuran, acetamiprid or thiacloprid.
>
> SUMMARY
> This bill bans the use, sale and distribution of neonicotinoid pesticides
> for 2 years. It
> also  directs  the  joint  standing  committee  of  the  Legislature
> having  jurisdiction  over
> agricultural matters to review the use and effects of neonicotinoid
> pesticides.

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/getPDF.asp?paper=HP1158&item=1&snum=126

is the link to the bill and what I posted.

After what Andrew said, I wonder just what was presented to the Board if
they thought LD 1587 was " primarily aimed at homeowners who acquire
neonics (and other ag chemicals) from Big Box stores, often it is believed,
without knowing/understanding what they are purchasing".

If so, then the Board has its own problems with misrepresentation of the
original bill to its own members.The Board thought they were voting for one
thing but the actual bill was entirely different. The farmers and everyone
else read it for what it was. It was on the internet for all to see. No
ambiguity there, but if what Andrew said is true, it seems the Board was
led astray.

Add that there is finger pointing (at the hearing) by the Legislator, that
he was really not to blame for bringing the bill forward but it was the
"pollinators", read MSBA Board, that pushed the bill. Plus he (not the
MSBA) decided to pull the bill because he knew it wold have gone down in
flames,and you wonder "with friends like these".

It appears that all involved with the bill practice mushroom management.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mushroom%20management

The plot thickens.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine