From:
Brian Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:13:57 -0500
Honeybees and all pollinators are obviously in trouble. We can stand by the status quo and waste precious time or move ahead with regulations that put some common sense back into the equation. I don't think we need a massive large scale study to come to the obvious conclusion that interstate transportation of bees (bombi or mellifera) is fraught with risks and has damaged the overall health and population of pollinators.

Industrial agriculture (monocrops with large pollination needs) will just keep pushing and pushing to wring more blood out of the pollinators.

This really comes back to the fallacy that we can't spend more money on food in this country. Cheap food is the enemy of all pollinators in my view.

A prime example of this kind scorched earth policy is the Farm Bureau fighting anymore wild life refuges in southern MN. We're talking a 500 acre wetland for waterfowl here.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/84527062.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUncacyi8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

I intend to contact a state Farm Bureau rep and ask him/her what importance if any does FB put on pollinators?