From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 14:31:05 -0500
Lloyd Spear wrote about an Apiary Inspector at the Empire State Honey
Producers Association fall meeting stating, "there have not been any
documented instances of Africanized bees having been brought to NY from
Florida".  Lloyd placed the emphasis on "any", whereas when I heard the
statement I heard the emphasis on "documented".  I thought the speaker
was asserting that if African bees HAD been imported into New York
State, the purported African bees were NOT tested and confirmed to be
African.  My recollection is the hot bees were simply not tolerated by
the beekeeper and were destroyed before any tests could confirm (or not)
their lineage.  The message I came away with was if your bees are too
hot to handle, address the problem.  I was left wondering what will be
done if the day comes when there are only hot bees left, but if that's
what the future holds I suspect the bigger problem will be finding
locations, not finding bees.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!