From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:02:07 -0900
Hi Hugo & All,

>         A well-known beekeeper here in Quebec proposed using "Thermofoil"
as
> wrapping material for the hives, with a styrofoam on top of the
inner-cover,

I have been using the same material for wrapping hives here now for about
five years with what seems to be good results. The material also goes by the
brand name of Reflectix, you can read more about it at this URL;
http://www.reflectixinc.com/
You can also check out how I wrap my hives at this URL near the bottom of
the page;
http://balder.prohosting.com/~starrier/index.htm

Like I said I have had good results in the past, and in recent years I have
been trying this wrap compared to Styrofoam hives and no wrap at all. I have
also tried upper vent compared to lower vent only. What I think I am seeing
is I see very little to no difference if wrapped or not and that the upper
vent is paramount so this year I have gone with no wrap at all and an upper
vent for all but one hive. Also I think it is very important to have some
sort of insulation on top of the inner cover, I have been using the last two
years a 1/2 inch piece of urethane sheeting that has foil on one side with
the foil facing down. The urethane came cheap for me as it was road kill
that I found on the side of the road. This year will be a great test for how
I am wintering the colonies because right now we are experiencing a normal
Alaska winter, Cooold. This winter will answer my final question about
wintering bees in Alaska.
   . ..
c(((([
Keith Malone