From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:18:39 -0600
> Can you help me with the best humidity range for queen cells in a wood
> cabinet incubator from the 10th day to the 15th day? I am using 94 F. as
> the temperature. I have been able to find the temperature in books but not
> the humidity. Do other Bee-L beekeepers use a different temperature? If so
> why?

Good info on the temperatures and humidifies and other details of queen rearing
is hard to find.  Many beekeepers use 92 degrees F for the reason that this
provides a margin of safety against overheating which is far, far more
harmful -- even for a short time -- than slightly cooler than optimal
conditions.

Most cheap thermostats vary a bit in their regulation and there can be an
additional problems if the ambient temperature outside the enclosure varies
much.

After a thermostat acts, there is always a time delay until the heat in the
enclosure rises or falls.  Resulting temperature overshoot depends on how much
the temperature drops when the door is opened, the temperature difference
between the inside and outside of the box, the mass of the cabinet vs. the mass
of the heater unit and the mass of the thermostat, and other factors.   Heat
inertia is the wild card here.

Moreover, there may be hot and cold spots in the enclosure due to the shape,
location of the heat source, convection, heat radiation from the heater, etc.
Sunlight falling on one part of the incubator for a period of time can distort
the temperatures inside too.

A memory type indoor/outdoor thermometer available from Radio Shack can be an
invaluable learning and monitoring tool.  There are alarm equipped models
available too, all in the under $50 range.

allen