From:
Mike Beluch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 09:12:00 -0500
     Hello all,

     Just a quick question from a 'newbee.' This year, for reasons I won't
     go into, it was necessary for me to remove a box from one hive with 3
     or 4 frames of brood, all in varying stages of development. Needless
     to say, it all died. So I put it on top of another strong hive to
     clean it out. They DID remove all the capped larvae and pupae really
     quickly, but they never really removed the uncapped larvae carcasses.
     After about two weeks, they seemed to be using this comb readily to
     store nectar and pollen. However, I've noticed a strong odor of decay
     that has remained with this box. It has been two months since I put
     the box on. I decided to take it back off, and when the bees had
     emptied out (via a bee escape) the smell was stronger than ever. The
     colony seems none for the worse.

     Most beekeepers tell me not to worry about the smell, and that they'll
     continue to clean the comb in the spring. My question is, have I
     unknowingly introduced a pathogen into my colony?  I observed
     absolutely no signs of AFB or EFB in any of the brood I've checked
     almost weekly since August.  Any comments of suggestions? I'm afraid
     to use this comb in the spring again (it would just be for brood,
     though)

     Can you hear my knees knocking? ;-)

     Mike