From:
Conrad Sigona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 22:39:36 -0500
> As part of some Varroa mite testing I'm involved in, I really could use
> sticky papers with grids on them to aid in dead mite detection. None of
> the 'traps' in the big name catalogs really fit the bill. However, in
> the March 1997 ABJ, page 207, there is pictured a "DEWILL VARROA MITE
> DETECTOR INSERT." These would be perfect. Does anyone out there know who
> sells them, or maybe have an address for Dewill? Any help would be much
> appreciated.

I have used a home-made version successfully. It consists of a sheet of
oiled (I used vegetable oil) paper inserted between two pieces of screening
(hardware cloth). The screening is sewed together on three of the four
sides to form a pocket and the paper is inserted into the pocket. Then the
entire thing is slid into the hive through the hive entrance and rests on
the bottom board. The screening stops the bees from ripping the paper up.
I drew boxes 1" square on the paper; this made counting the dead mites
easier. If you put a little handle like a pot-holder handle on the screen,
you can slip it in and out of the hive with little trouble and inspect
it daily if you like.

Conrad Sigona