From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 2009 21:10:32 -0600
Randy Said:
But the court that I'm speaking of is composed of the very
beekeepers whom you most quote.  I'm not even in the jury--I've just been
watching the proceedings.

Here is a real story to share with you about farmers' reaction to what is
going on regarding pesticides (Neonics), CCD, and bees. I was invited to
give a couple of talks at SABA meeting in Albany NY. As Dr. Enesto Guzman
(University of Guelph, Ontario)and I were crossing the border at Niagara
falls, the immigration officer asked his questions about my job, purpose
of the trip, etc. As soon as I mentioned honey bees, He said Sir, let me
ask you this question: Do you think that the Neonics are the cause of CCD
in the USA? I was surprised by this type of question. I asked him back how
do you know all of this information. What do you do for living? He replied
"I am a part time farmer and that what i am going to do in my retirement.
I allow beekeepers to use my land to keep their bees in Up State NY. I am
a user of Neonics. If the beekeepers will keep pointing fingers at the
neonics, How am I going to survive or keep healthy crops for their bees to
pollinate? I am going to grow X-mas trees and let these beekeepers get
**** out of my farm.

This was an eye opening regarding finger pointing. Of course we need
protection of our bees in a balanced system that offers also protection to
farmers. To achieve this balance, farmers and beekeepers must change to
develop better means for protecting their bees and crops.

Anyway - the immigration officer let me go to the meeting and I shared
this story with the participants beekeepers.

Medhat

Medhat Nasr, Ph. D.

Crop Diversification Centre North, Alberta, Canada.