From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2009 13:32:21 -0000
Chris wrote:
>... the action of propolis in combatting bacteria was different to that
> of the usual antibiotics in that it didn't kill the bugs but enveloped
> them,
> preventing reproduction.
> If this is the case then the same mode of action might be effective
> against
> Nosema spores.

Perhaps more work is needed here?

Anecdotal observation:
Over the past two or three years we have been working hard to replace our
mongrel stocks with A.m.m.  Still plenty of work to do, but we are making
good progress.  The level of propolis use in our colonies has increased
significantly.  Last year I tested a number of batches of adult bees for
nosema - but could not find a single spore.  This is in contrast with the
situation previously when spores could be found easily.

Best wishes
Peter Edwards
beekeepers at stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/