From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 11:01:49 +0100
In article <[log in to unmask]>, michael palmer
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>And all this in small print. But, in large print, on another part of the
>label...on jars containing foriegn honey....
>..."U.S.D.A GRADE A"....a bit misleading to the uninformed, wouldn't you say?

Why misleading?

It is plainly a (fairly bland) quality statement and not a country of
origin statement.

Unless of course you think US honey is automatically superior to all
others and only it should qualify as a 'Grade A' product.

Not a point of view to gain many friends outside the US, nearly all of
them at least as proud of their product as you are.

However, I would have some sympathy with your position regarding Chinese
product, which I have always found to be of unattractive taste and
smell, and likely to damage honey sales rather then boost them, despite
the low price.

FWIW, a close friend in the trade tells me that they are meeting sharp
competition for Argentine honey in bulk at this time from buyers from
North America. It is rumoured to be all going to Canada to circumvent
the US tarriffs, where it is blended and then entering as Canadian. I
have no firm evidence to support this but my source is well informed and
very reliable.

Sounds a bit like the way it was reported that Chinese was getting round
their tarriffs problem a year or two back, by going into Canada, being
blended, and then entering as Canadian (although I think Mexican was
being used as a cover as well). Much growling was done then by US based
posters blaming the Canadians for doing it, but it could not be done
without the conivance of  (and possibly even at the instigation of) the
US client as it is really quite impossible to see how, unless at really
small proportions, you could hide Chinese honey in Canadian. Anyone who
knows both kinds would detect the Chinese or blended product instantly.

Seems the same might now be happening for Argentine honey, but this will
be a lot less easy to detect as the quality of their honey is actually
pretty good and will be easier to hide.

--
Murray McGregor