From:
Mike Rowbottom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 20:49:31 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Dave Cushman
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>There is another way that is finding favour in the UK...Hot air guns are
>sold for softening paint to allow stripping. A quick blast from one of these
>melts the capping in the centre of each cell and surface tension pulls the
>melted wax to the rim of the cell. I have not tried this personally but I am
>told it is quick but wax is splattered about in the process.

Hi

Not a great deal of wax is splattered if care is used.  However the
method only works well where the bees have left an airspace under the
cappings.  On combs where the cappings are in contact with the honey the
method does not work well at all.  The honey absorbs too much heat and
prevents the wax melting unles the honey is really hot.  Probably hot
enough to damage the flavour.

Regards
--
Mike Rowbottom