From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2007 21:46:59 -0400
Chrissy Shaw  wrote:
> Last summer i, for the first time, noticed my bees working the native wild rose here for pollen.

I have always wondered if honey bees get much from the wild roses
around here (NY state). I believe they gather orangey red pollen from
them. However, Rosa multiflora is not native and is considered an
invasive pest by many. Funny how many invasives are favorites of
beekeepers! Even black locust is listed as a pest!

Invasives listed by NJ Department of Environmental Protection include

Alliaria petiolata  (garlic mustard)
Berberis thunbergii  (Japanese barberry)
Centaurea biebersteinii (spotted knapweed)
Cirsium arvense (Canadian thistle)
Dipsacus fullonum  (wild teasel)
Elaeagnus umbellata  (autumn olive)
Lespedeza cuneata   (Chinese bush-clover)
Lonicera japonica  (Japanese honeysuckle)
Lythrum salicaria (purple loosestrife)
Melilotus officinalis  (yellow sweetclover)
Polygonum cuspidatum  (Japanese knotweed)
Polygonum perfoliatum (mile-a-minute)
Robinia pseudoacacia  (black locust)
Rosa multiflora (multiflora rose)

pb