From:
Cliff Van Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 17:58:22 +-1200
Can anyone on the list point me in the direction of up-to-date, published figures on world production (for human consumption) of propolis and bee pollen?  The operative word here is "published".  There's lots of speculation about production of these two products, but what I need are some recognised figures.

I've had a bit of a look in the literature, but the latest info I can find on propolis is in Eva Crane's book Bees and Beekeeping (1990).  She quotes Kjaersgaard (1985), who produced 1984 export figures for China (55t), Argentina (7-8t), Chile+Uruguay (7-8t) and Canada (3-4t).  However, no specific figure is given for Brazil, which some sources say is the world's largest producer.

For bee pollen, the best reference I've found so far is Schmidt and Buchmann's chapter in The Hive and The Honey Bee (1992).  They quote Wang (1989), who produced figures for China, and then state that major producers include USA, China, USSR, Spain, Mexico, Argentina and Australia.  However, no specific figures are given.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cliff Van Eaton
Tauranga
NEW ZEALAND