Date:
Wed, 11 May 2011 23:29:54 -0400
>It is not my intention to belabor the point that formic acid is deadly.
>You can read all about it and make up your own minds. Cheers!
>http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguidelines/formicacid/recognition.html

While there are obviously considerable differences, it is interesting to note that the following passage from that autoritative site is IDENTICAL in wording for rubbing alcohol and formic acid, so these pages have to be read with some skepticism and understanding.

This not to say that one should ever mistake formic acid for rubbing alcohol.  Don't.

--- begin quote ---

Controls

PERSONAL HYGIENE PROCEDURES

If isopropyl alcohol contacts the skin, workers should flush the affected areas immediately with plenty of water, followed by washing with soap and water.

Clothing contaminated with isopropyl alcohol should be removed immediately, and provisions should be made for the safe removal of the chemical from the clothing. Persons laundering the clothes should be informed of the hazardous properties of isopropyl alcohol, particularly its potential for causing irritation.

A worker who handles isopropyl alcohol should thoroughly wash hands, forearms, and face with soap and water before eating, using tobacco products, using toilet facilities, applying cosmetics, or taking medication.

Workers should not eat, drink, use tobacco products, apply cosmetics, or take medication in areas where isopropyl alcohol or a solution containing isopropyl alcohol is handled, processed, or stored.

STORAGE

Isopropyl alcohol should be stored in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area in tightly sealed containers that are labeled in accordance with OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard [29 CFR 1910.1200]. Containers of isopropyl alcohol should be protected from physical damage and contact with air, and should be stored separately from strong oxidizers, acetaldehyde, chlorine, ethylene oxide, acids, and isocyanates.

SPILLS AND LEAKS

In the event of a spill or leak involving isopropyl alcohol, persons not wearing protective equipment and clothing should be restricted from contaminated areas until cleanup has been completed. The following steps should be undertaken following a spill or leak:
Notify safety personnel.
Remove all sources of heat and ignition.
Do not touch the spilled material; stop the leak if it is possible to do so without risk.
Water spray may be used to reduce vapors, but the spray may not prevent ignition in closed spaces.
For small spills, take up with sand or other noncombustible absorbent material and place into closed containers for later disposal
For large liquid spills, build dikes far ahead of the spill to contain the isopropyl alcohol for later reclamation or disposal.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requirements for emergency planning, reportable quantities of hazardous releases, community right-to-know, and hazardous waste management may change over time. Users are therefore advised to determine periodically whether new information is available.

* Emergency planning requirements

Isopropyl alcohol is not subject to EPA emergency planning requirements under the Superfund Amendments