From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 23:04:45 -0500
    Gotta correct an error in the Carolina Report, I made a few days ago.  I
had seen a lot of maples forming seed pods, so I figured the maple bloom was
over.

    However, this week a lot more maple bloom has appeared, and there's been
quite a flow in some areas, with bees making the first new wax of the season.

   Down along the river, high water sometimes delays bloom, but I'm also
seeing some upland.  I think it is due to the very mild winter with very low
chilling hours.  This tends to spread the bloom out over an extended time.

   I think the same will be happening in the Florida oranges as well,
because, with the exception of the one cold week, there has been little
chilling there.  Bloom is already opening, but it is a smattering here and a
smattering there.

  When there is a good chilling period the bloom comes on more quickly and
the trees hold together more at the same time.

   Of course that means the honey dribbles in, and will tend to be darker.
When it floods in, it is light.

   Good chilling "primes" the blossoms.  After a very cold winter (not up and
down, but steady cold) apples will yield nectar almost as profusely as
oranges.

   Bees are brooding up rapidly.  Forecast is for cooler weather, but no
extremes.  We are in bad shape now, if there is a hard freeze.  I'm
optomistic, but concerned.

[log in to unmask]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC
29554        (Dave & Jan's Pollination Service,  Pot o'Gold Honey Co.)

Pollination for lay people, students, teachers
....Of bees, beekeepers, and food
http://users.aol.com/queenbjan/primbees.htm

Pollination for the pros - those involved in doing it:
Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light         Varietal Honeys and Gift Sets
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm