Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:23:32 -0700
Aaron Morris wrote:

 Hello Aaron and All,
  I have posted my feelings against  "coumopos" back in January when the
USDA surfaced with the idea.The reason it came to the market place so
fast is simple. A lot of hives were held up in Florida because of the
Beetle quarantine at that time. California needed the almonds pollinated
and they were short of bees.After a few phone calls to DC , when a week
the USDA came up with coumopos after twisting the EPA's arm a little. I
would bet money that the EPA would not approve comopos ,to hand out to
anyone ,unless  someone was sitting on them very hard.Its a German nerve
gas derivative and it will cause nerve damage if you get it on your
shin. That is a given.Money was the driver. A Two Billion Dollar
business, Almonds , did the trick.Safety for us and our bees went out
the window.

> However, rather than complacently receiving this new product with a
> collective sigh of relief, there should be a collective cry, a TUMULTUOUS
> DEMAND from the beekeeping industry that better tools, SAFER tools be
> brought to market. Why is it that a nasty product like coumophos can be brought
> to market so quickly when efforts to approve formic acid have been thwarted at
> every turn for well over a decade now?
 What's wrong with this picture?

 Most beekeepers look at there bees and want to protect them at all
cost.
There not interested in going to war with the USDA or the EPA. They have
real problems at hand with there bees.I can not see anyway to put a fire
under them until some beekeepers start to show some real signs of brain
damage do to coumopos. That will be whitewashed for some time before the
truth comes out.Then the blame will be put on them. All of you know how
that works.I hope you are very careful if you use the product. The
bottom line is, we do not need to lose anymore beekeepers.We lost too
many when the mites came along. Beekeepers do a service to this earth.
They are people that care about nature.They also can be taken down the
garden path , just like the rest of the population.
 Beekeepers in the US need to demand for a Genetic solution to our
problems. That's a long term fix , without chemicals.Chemical company's
don't like it. They have the arm and money to keep the USDA coming up
with more chemical fix's.Thats where we sit at this time.

> it that beekeepers are blindly accepting EPA's decision that nerve poison can
> be safely impregnated into plastic stips for safe distribution and use, yet we
> continue to allow a more benign product to be denied to us.  I thought
> beekeepers were a more cantankerous group, but perhaps our reputation is over
> rated.

Beekeepers are into the flowers and the birds and the bee's. Not into
trying to move a mountain. It looks to big. Don't forget that the
mountain is made up of small pieces. Each letter, one and one and
one,--, will get attention at some point in time.If each one would do
that, one letter.A shift would start.Do nothing, then don't
complain.Keep smelling the flowers.

 Best Regards
 Roy Nettlebeck
Tahuya River Apiaries