From:
Greg Hankins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 10:06:20 -0500
>I would be interested in reading posts from people with more information
>about learning in bees.

Stan,

There's a great book I encountered (at Borders, I think) called "The Honey
Bee" by James L. Gould and Carol Grant Gould that has extensive discussions
of honey bee comunication and learning. Experiments are described, the
early controversies over the bee dance are related, and much information is
imparted regarding what has been established tus far by scientific research.

The book is "A Scientific American Library Paperback." I'm no scientist and
I found it most readable -- though challenging in parts. The ISBN is
0-7167-6010-X for the paperback and 0-7167-5023-6 for the hardback.

One of the points toward which the book points is that the black and white
division that we so often make between intelligence and instinct probably
conceals a lot of gray areas in between.

Greg

Greg Hankins                       Mt. Gilead, NC