From:
Rimantas Zujus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:12:34 +0100
Dear Beefriends

Matthew in Castle Rock, CO Writes:
>queens would prefer to lay on the two lower full-depth supers first
>before venturing up to the second level.  Some of the feral hives I've
>removed indicated the queen preferred a side-to-side area where she
>could easily moniter brood activity.
>
>Since this is only my 'guess' does anyone have any professional insight
>to preferred laying patterns?

We discussed this topic in our last meeting of our town's Society two weeks
ago. Conclusion was: "The longer is a hive the grater optimal temperature
volume for brood occurs"
As you know the density of air depends on its temperature. Therefore heated
air distributes upper and cool - lower. Optimal temperature for brood is
somewhere between it. Thus horizontal area (volume) with optimal temperature
depends on hives length.
As confirmation to this ,maybe, our love to greater frames (Dadant 435x300
mm) and mostly wide hives with one or sometimes two supers (half Dadant
height 145x300 mm)
I want to pay your attention. We are almost north country :)

Rimantas Zujus
Kaunas
LITHUANIA

e-mail : [log in to unmask]