From:
Zachary Huang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 13:28:23 -0400
This is a short update:
1. we have published an abstract in the American Bee Journal (May Issue, I
think) on a 2006 summer field test. We got fantastic results.

2. right now we have about 90% survival of the mitezapper colonies from last
winter, but about 20-30% survival from the control colonies and drone
colonies (colonies which received a drone frame but not treatment).  this is
despite the fact that we treated for mites in October (thousands of mites
dropped in 24 hrs).  This says late treatment (late Sept to Oct) wont work
in Michigan because we need the winter bees undamaged by mites to get
through the 6 months winter time.  I am continuing a 2nd year field study
with overwintered bees (many more mites!).  Hopefully I can write this one
up soon for publication.

3. Mitezapper LLC in Detroit is producing the first batch of zappers now.
Target date: about September, ready for spring of 2008.

Zachary Huang
Michigan State University and beetography.com