From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:37:06 +0000
Not a great lover of Chinese goods myself, however.......

Take a line like that against the products of other
countries......friendly ones are hit just the same as those you may
prefer not to buy from......and you will hit US jobs too.

Block the products of other places which people want to buy (if there
was no market they would not be available) and you might find yourselves
blocked too. I doubt the amount of Chinese extractors is a huge threat
to your own makers, and imagine how hard companies like Cowen, Maxant,
Dadant etc would be hit in export markets if there was to be a tit for
tat product boycott. I'm sure you (US) export a far greater value of bee
equipment than you buy in.

Support for your own producers sounds fine, and to a limited extent it
works, but people must have the freedom to choose.

FWIW, I would recommend buying the very best extractor you can find with
the funds available to you. A good one will last many years, perhaps
even a lifetime, and a cheap tinny one may not last 5 years. Quality in
honey machines is an investment rather than a thing you should just see
as a one off cost. At the cheap end it is unlikely to be one off and
usually, after a long time, turns out not to have been the cheapest way.

Aaron's advice about a good second hand one is very sound. You may be
able to get a far better extractor than you could afford new by buying
it that way. Just find out why it is being sold first!

Murray

In article <[log in to unmask]>, Lionel Evans
<[log in to unmask]> writes

--
Murray McGregor