From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 09:34:48 -0800
Greg & Melinda Holley wrote:

 1. Do I need to be checking my hive now to see if they still have
enough food/honey?
        Just hefting the back of the hive will tell you if they are
light. You can start feeding very early, if they don't take the feed now
they will later.

2. Several people have given me old, dark honey they had for several
years; is this okay to feed the bees?  if yes, how do you feed it?
        Not a good idea. Honey may harbor pathegens such as AFB, EFB,
nosema, chalkbrood. Only feed honey if you are sure of the source and
that the source is disease free. Of course it is still smarter to sell
the honey and feed syrup.

 3.  I would like to raise queens from my Carn. queen;  if I try this
having 3 other hives of Italians willthe new bees be a mixed breed with
a bad disposition?
        The cross wil probably be fine. Your queens will probably mate
with drones from another apiary anyway. Queens fly farther from the
apiary when they make a mating flight than drones do to congregation
areas.