From:
Tim Arheit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:40:12 -0400
At 05:04 PM 7/17/03 +0000, you wrote:
>Any suggestions?  The tree can't be cut down nor is enlarging the entrance
>hole an option.  I can't put a mesh cone over the entrance and give the
>returning bees an alternative hive.

I would first try to remove as many bees as possible.  Removing visable
foragers is a start, but I would try to drive as many bees out of the hive
as possible.  I've had good luck heavily smoking a hive with honey robber
in my smoker causing the bees to abscond.  Just wad up some newspaper, get
it wet with honey robber and place it in the top of the smoker.  It took
awhile of heavily smoking before bees stopped pouring out of the hive.   I
have tried to vacuum up as many as I can as they exit, but usually miss
most of them and they settle nearby just like a swarm.  In your case I'd
probably attach a food long piece of metal pipe to the smoker so the smoke
can be delivered directly in the hive.  Just use a smaller diameter then
the hold in the tree so the bees can get out.   The last one I did took a
good hour of smoking, and at least as much to settle on a tree (the just
don't settle down as fast as a normal swarm)

Getting the comb out intact sounds just about impossible.  You may have to
break it up with a long wire or flexible bar and wet/dry vac up what you
can.  It's bound to cause future problems without nearly complete removal
even if it's sealed up.  The more you can get out, the better.  You might
be able to break off chunks of comb and drag them out with one of those
long grip things (I don't know what they are called, they are basically a
flexible metal shaft about 2 foot long, with a claw on the end, and a
plunger on the other end to open and close them.  Should be available at
most hardware stores.)  A small mirror on a stick may also help (also sold
at hardware stores).

Another method of removing the bees I've read about, though never
tried.  Find the very top of the cavity and drill a hole.  Plug up any
other holes, then very, very, very slowly fill the cavity with water.  The
bees will move up and out, and sometimes you even get the queen.

Sounds like it's going to be a tough job.

-Tim