Date:
Thu, 2 May 2013 09:29:36 -0600
I love the Emperor's new clothes.

> ...a comprehensive scientific report on honey bee health. The report
> states that there are multiple factors playing a role in honey bee
> colony declines, including parasites and disease, genetics, poor
> nutrition and pesticide exposure.

Nothing new.

> Key findings include: Parasites and Disease Present Risks to Honey
> Bees:

Not new

> The parasitic Varroa mite is recognized as the major factor
> underlying colony loss in the U.S. and other countries.

Not new

> There is widespread resistance to the chemicals beekeepers use to
> control mites within the hive.

Not new

> New virus species have been found in the U.S. and several of these
> have  been associated with Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD).

Hmmm.  What exactly does this mean?

> Increased Genetic Diversity is Needed:

I though that this has been debunked several times by studies showing
good diversity.

> Poor Nutrition Among Honey Bee Colonies:

We have been talking about this for over a decade -- long enough that at
least four new feed formulas came on the market.

> There is a Need for Improved Collaboration and Information Sharing:

I wonder if, past a point,this merely narrows the pool of ideas and
lessens competition, and increases the herd mentality in researchers.
Independence in research and real competition is essential to getting
anywhere.

> Best Management Practices associated with bees and pesticide use,
> exist, but are not widely or systematically followed by members of
> the crop-producing industry. There is a need for informed and
> coordinated communication between growers and beekeepers and
> effective collaboration between stakeholders on practices to protect
> bees from pesticides. Beekeepers emphasized the need for accurate and
> timely bee kill incident reporting, monitoring, and enforcement.

It was ever thus.  Could have been written 50 years ago.

> Additional "Send money" The most pressing pesticide research
> questions relate to determining actual pesticide exposures and
> effects of pesticides to bees in the field and the potential for
> impacts on bee health and productivity of whole honey bee colonies.

Mom's apple pie. Always good for a few more bucks.

> An estimated one-third of all food and beverages are made possible by
> pollination, mainly by honey bees.

B.S.

---
Allen Dick