From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 23:35:38 +0100
Michael,
Commiseration on the way that your stocks have been treated - sounds like legalised vandalism to me!

Even thought your bees have been treated in this manner - it must be remembered that the inspection
service is there to help and advise.
So what to do?
Pick up the phone and explode the inspector? - may make one feel better.
But, the long term view is to ensure that this is not repeated.
That requires the hiring and training of good personnel.
One expects that the inspection service is capable of finding these people.
But:
To ensure that the process continues in a proper manner - feedback is essential (positive or
negative).
The manner in which this is received may result in positive development with the beekeeping
community - or helps set in a, to put it politely, a "me trust you?, never, and I shall do all I can
to hinder you" attitude.
The latter will result in beekeepers loosing out!
We will be considered even more on a limb, eccentric, parasites on the agricultural industry.

Beekeepers need to ensure that the inspection service has constant input from the industry, that
individuals working for it have tight liaison with those they are inspecting.
If we allow ourselves to just suffer imposition from above - then situations you describes will
become the norm.

What ever the level of beekeeping - individuals should get involved, give opinions, jump off the
fence, generate debate, to ensure that we are listened to and most importantly, do so in a
constructive manner.
If something happens that is not agreed with, then say so, but ensure that a proposition is
proffered to improve the situation. Don't just negatively criticize without the latter, you won't
improve matters.
This does not mean that "rolling on to your back" is required, definitely not!
Complain, criticize, embarrass - but then construct, develop for a better next time.
Regards,
Peter