From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:18:34 -0600
> Someone correct me if I am wrong but isn't it regular beekeeping practice
> cull all comb with drone cells on them from the brood nest unless a
> beekeeper were breeding queens for themselves or for sale?

This may be true of a few anal control-freak beekeepers, but I can assure
you that most beekeepers I know consider around 10% drone comb in the brood
chamber to be quite proper, especially if the DC is around the periphery.
For one thing, eliminating all drone comb simply entices the bees to replace
some worker comb with drone comb.  For another, most good beekeepers are
trying to work with the bees and avoid excessive interference.

>  I think most beekeepers think that drones are only good for one purpose,
> that is mating with a queen.

Really?  That is not the impression I get from reading BEE-L.

Looking at the subject line, I'm wondering how various people define
"Natural Beekeeping".  For one thing, can anyone using foundation claim to
be a "Natural" beekeeper?

allen