Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2017 02:34:04 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
>>>   Today that cup has a single egg in it dead center.......<><><>   Great experiment Bill...Mike in LA

To: [log in to unmask] 
 Sent: Friday, May 19, 2017 4:48 PM
 Subject: Re: [BEE-L] Results -Do bees move eggs?

my earlier post >I had an opportunity so I started today (the 16th) . I came across a drone laying queen in a colony with no open brood and no eggs- just some older capped drone cells in patches on various frames. After I pinched the queen, I marked an empty frame that contained a single queen cup and placed it in the colony. I then dropped in a frame that had eggs and day-old larva making sure the open brood and eggs were facing the queen cup. A bee would only have to pick up the egg or larva and turn around to place it in the cup- I made it easy.  I'll keep checking to see what happens.  What I expect is that they will draw emergency cells on the frame with the eggs, but this will be my first time looking any further to see if they also moved eggs or larva around. 

Results

I checked the queen cups on the 17th and 18th (they added a second cup) and found nothing in them. But yesterday I saw bees on the face of one of the cups doing vibratory signaling like you sometimes see on a ripe queen cell. I thought it was odd since the cell was empty.  Today that cup has a single egg in it dead center. The egg doesn't seem to have the customary curve of a normal egg- it's almost straight. I'm not claiming it was moved yet but I'll follow it's progress and if it turns to be a diploid egg I have to conclude it came from the eggs I put in the colony. They have not yet drawn any emergency cells elsewhere. 

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire Ct

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2