From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2013 01:51:25 -0500
[log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])   writes:

The book  is no longer available from Amazon or Chapters/Indigo.  Google
lists  no sellers for it any more

I think you can still get it from Larry Conner, maybe he will  respond?

Stan:

As per debating the issues, I interpreted your statements to  say that
testing in the US for label registration was simply a matter of  toxicity
testing in a laboratory, which in fact is only a part of the  tiered approach,
that is described in the referenced book.

As per the newer and older pesticides, I've been involved in this area
since 1968, and I've seen the pendulum swing back and forth.  In the 60s  and
early 70s, beekeepers were organized in their concern about pesticides, and
the test protocols described in the aforementioned book were put  together
after a lot of meetings and discussion by leading researchers,  EPA,
beekeepers, and companies.  EPA heard lots of complaints from  beekeepers, and they
responded.

A program was also put in place to compensate US beekeepers for  bee losses
attributable to pesticides, and EPA provided a laboratory to analyze
samples.  Then Carter rescinded the program and beekeepers had by  then split
into two voices nationally, not one consolidated one.   Suddenly, getting paid
for bee damages became mainly a litigation issue,  and many beekeepers
became a lot less interested in pursuing damages.   Then, along came trachel and
then varroa mittes, and pesticides were  literally forgotten, except for a
few of us studying them and the poor saps  who went out and found piles of
dead bees in front of  their hives.

CCD brought a new awareness of bees, bee problems, and the media and
public  got involved.  Suddenly, pesticides were re-discovered.   Now, as Stan
and many others on this list know, pesticide problems continued for  all the
period from before mites to the present, but reporting of  incidents became
iffy, and those few who had real problems found little  help from their state
or provinces, and virtually none from the federal  level.  Pesticides and
bees had taken a back seat at EPA to waterfowl and  pesticides (after all,
some of us hunt and eat birds).  I tried on many  occasions over those years
to get beekeepers and EPA to pay more attention to  bees and pesticides, but
to little avail until the media picked up on CCD.

From the early 1900s through end of WWII,  most pesticides were based  on
inorganic chemicals - which surprise, also were released by some heavy
industry - things like arsenic, copper, lead, sulfur.  There were verified  bee
kills from heavy industry in Europe and in the US dating back to 1914 or
earlier.   WWII saw the development and use by the military of  DDT.  End of th
e war, DDT and other synthetic, organic pesticides,  especially chlorinated
hydrocarbons suddenly came into widespread  use.  Just as suddenly, the
inorganic pesticides and the pollution kills  were forgotten, as the new
pesticides resulted in dramatic, quick kills,  characterized by piles of dead bees
in front of hives.  EPA came into  being, and the protocols described in the
Johansen and Mayer book were  published in the Federal Register.  Everyone
was focused on bee losses due  to synthetic, organic pesticides.

That doesn't mean the inorganic pesticides and pollution incidents   went
away.  Initially, they were just ignored.  Then we phased out  most of the
inorganic pesticides and stopped putting lead in gasoline, but the  pollution
issues are still with us, just forgotten.

What happened after WWII, with the help of Rachel Carson, the spotlight
shined fully on the chlorinated hydrocarbons as the great killer of  bees.
These chemicals eventually were banned or phased out, and  newer, even more
toxic chemicals appeared. Organophospohates, carbamates,  etc.  Even bigger
piles of bees. Yet, varroa eclipsed all of this, not only  in the US but
around the world.  No one was paying attention to pesticides,  unless one was on
the  receiving side because someone sprayed the bees  out of existence.

The neonics were introduced in the mid-1990s, and no one in the  US noticed
until the flap about CCD in 2006, when everything became  suspect. There
were isolated cases with obvious impacts, and you had first hand  experience,
but I believe the growers were trenching in the pesticide rather  than
treating seed?

That's not to say that you didn't have a justified problem.  There  have
and I suspect will always be some problems, especially with new products or
misapplication.  Just a there have been at least a few drift/dust  issues
over past years.  However, you asked about older and newer  chemicals.

I do see differences. The older pesticides were clearly toxic, and the
piles of bees hard to miss.  Yet, the colonies often recovered.   Those older
chemicals were frequently in ppm levels when an incident  was observed.  And,
I know from both my own testing and from the nature of  the modes of
action, virtually all of those pesticides had sub-lethal  impacts, its just that
no one was studying and reporting them.

In fact, for every reported 'sublethal' effect attributable to neonics in
new publications, I think it should be mandatory to benchmark against at
least  one of the older pesticides to see if it produced the same effect AND
for  these sublethal experiments, it should be mandatory for the researcher to
 have the bees in the test screened for varroa, viruses, and nosema to
avoid  unknown stress factors entering into the study, and confounding the
results or  producing erroneous conclusions.

I learned about the older chemicals and sublethal responses under  DoD
funded projects where we used bees as a rapid response alarm system for  the
military in terms of being able to detect releases of chemical warfare  agents.
 Bees displayed intoxication, rejected contaminated foragers,  changed the
sounds produced by the colony, showed a wide array of
behavioral/memory/avoidance responses to assays such as PERS, got lost going  through mazes,
tried to avoid contact, got defensive,  the list is  long and these types of
effects can be seen at incredibly low exposure  concentrations.  There's
nothing unique about sublethal effects that limits  them to neonics.  And, many of
the sublethal affects that we observed  were transitory, like when you or I
have to much to drink, and yes, bees get  drunk on alcohol, can die of
acute alcohol poisoning, and usually sober up, but  I haven't been able to
determine whether they get hung over.

Until just a few years ago, we couldn't look at multiple pesticides using a
 single sample prep, such as Gastonia can do; we couldn't detect ppb levels
of  chemical in samples.  And, I  note that just since 2005, limits of
detection have dropped from 5-10 ppb for many pesticides down to 1 ppb.

So, we now get reports of impacts to bees at supposed ppb levels, with no
piles of dead bees, but with the claim that the colonies are being
devastated.  But, something else has changed since varroa - we've got both tracheal
and  varroa mites, we know we have at least 20-22 bee viruses, and that
viruses plus  varroa, and I think viruses plus nosema,can be devastating.   We've
 also got two nosemas, hive beetles, and new things like phorid flies, and
the  spread of africanized bees.

In the past, the literature and my own experience concluded - piles of dead
 bees indicate acute poisoning except in the rare case of some viral
epidemics.  I've learned NOT to conclude that piles of dead bees are  indicative
of poisoning  - I've seen too many cases of little or no  pesticide residues
in bees/pollen/nectar, but lots of evidence of varroa and/or  nosema and a
diverse array of viruses.

Bees in the 2000s are NOT like bees from the 70s in terms of pests and
pathogens - there's been a virtual explosion of the numbers of pests and
diseases and the levels.  So, if you are going to try to discern what's  going
on, you can't assume that the only thing that has changed is the  introduction
of neonics.

Clearly, the neonics are less hazardous to humans and other higher
animals.  They target insects.  Personally, the data we've collected  over past two
years in corn belt and canola regions indicate very low levels of
clothianidin in pollen/nectar of crops grown from treated seed.  Its  also clear
that bees just don't much care for field corn pollen.  Given a  choice, they'll
find something else to collect.  We couldn't find any real  evidence of any
frequent or high exposures in terms of the amounts in pollen or  nectar
during the bloom period.  The averages for pollen were barely above  the
instrument limits of detection of 1 ppb, and the canola nectar average was  below
the stated detection limit.

Other than scattered incidents of planter dust, based on 86 fields, I'd say
 treating seed is a good way to reduce hazards to bees during the bloom
period.  The dust problem is solvable - it appears to be a consequence of
continuous corn growing practices - a form of the old orchard management issue
of weeds and cover crops in bloom.  The fixes:  1) improve the  stickers
and carriers, 2) improve the drills with better dust containment, 3)  educate
the growers and beekeepers - if you drill through cover crops or weeds  in
bloom, there's a risk to bees.  For those fields with pivot sprinklers -
turn them on before drilling, or alternately, drill at night.

I'm not dismissing your comments about longer term impacts, less ability of
 the colonies to recover.

I  pay close attention to reports by experienced beekeepers of  viability
and failure to thrive.  Its just that figuring out the real  problem isn't
easy.  Case in point, the work by Reed Johnson on Pristine,  brood, and queen
problems.  He accidentally replicated the problem, not  with Pristine, but
with a chemical he used as a positive control, then  discovered that the
chemical in question was being put into tank mixes with  Pristine.  Its
preliminary data, but  it appears that the queen  breeders were right - but they
were focused on the coincidental phasing in of  Pristine at the same time as
Dimilin, which they hadn't even noticed.   correct observation in terms of
abnormal brood development, but it was due to an  endocrine disrupter, not  the
fungicide.  Reed's working on  confirmation, but I think he's right.

Complex issues, not getting any simpler.  One thing Malcolm Sanford,  James
Tew, and I agree upon - when we started, one was given a quick Beekeeping
101 course, told to throw in some antibiotic in the spring, and collect the
honey.

Vastly different in these days with a diverse array of pests, diseases, and
 chemicals.  Gone are the days when a grower applied one fungicides once
during the growing season (which the Johansen and Mayer book concludes are of
 little risk to bees).  I've now seen 5-7  fungicide applications to a
crop, with 4-6 different chemicals, as just another example of the  complexity.

So, I believe you Stan, when you report problems.  Its just that  there's
no simple answer without some serious, thorough investigation.  Too  many
variables, all in play, at the same time.