From:
Predrag Cvetkovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 00:41:57 +0200
Bob wrote:
> Counting old bees will not work as they will not make it through the
> winter. Commercial beekeepers counting old bees to winter in cold areas
are
> the guys which lose fifty percent each year. Many commercial beekeepers
> move their hives after the honey flow in the middle of the day to lose the
> old bees (which are doomed anyway). Should have been done (if the method
> used) 4 - 6 weeks ago by you in your area).

Hello Bob and All
Your thoughts were very surprising to me, so I had to write this email.
Jovan Kulincevic - a leading person in beekeeping here in Serbia, says that
we can't be sure that new bees are ones that will survive winter. There is a
part of the season (in late summer) when colonies grow winter bees - and
bees born before and after that will not survive. He even says that winter
bees (ones that will see the end of winter) might be born at the same time
as non-winter ones, and are fed with different food.
Could you give your comments please?
Our latitude is about 40-45 degrees.

Best regards
Predrag Cvetkovic